The Kusaug Traditional Council has condemned the recent highway ambush on some passengers travelling through the Pusiga area of the Bawku-Pulimakom Road.
The attack, unleashed by some men, saw six women and three men killed and left seventeen other passengers injured.
Reacting at a news conference to the September 20 ambush, the traditional council dissociated itself from the attack and expressed sympathies with the bereaved families.
“Ladies and Gentlemen, We disassociate ourselves from these barbaric and lawless acts, knowing that our culture abhors the killing of women, no matter the circumstance.
“These gruesome acts must be stopped by those involved. Attacks on travelers on the highway are not acceptable,” the council said in a statement certified by the Paramount Chief of Bawku and President of the Kusaug Traditional Council, Zug-Ran Asigri Abugrago Azoka II.
The council acknowledged the efforts made so far by the state security agencies to restore peace in Bawku.
But it stressed that the agencies needed to de-escalate the situation further and secure lasting peace so that international and local businesses may thrive unimpeded in the area.
Meanwhile, the Upper East Regional Peace Council (UERPC) equally has condemned the attack, saying it is “quite disheartening”.
“We were taken aback as there had been peace in the area for some time without any gunshot. These were innocent market women going to Cinkasse market. They were not armed. They were not combatants. It’s quite disheartening. We really condemn it.
“We are not happy about it— whether from Kusasis or Mamprusis. Both of them. Whoever. We appeal to the two sides to stop these killings. You can’t create life and yet you keep taking life, killing people who have nothing to do with the conflict,” the UERPC’s Chairman, Alhaji Sumaila Issaka, said in an interview with journalists.
Below is a full copy of the council’s statement:
Source: Haruna Sumaila Abugri/Media Without Borders/mwbonline.org